BPH Specialist in Athens GA
BPH is a very common condition in men especially when men reach their 60's. Symptoms of BPH include but are not limited to:
- Trouble urinating
- Having to urinate more than 8 times a day
- Needing to urinate in the middle of the night
- Feeling that your bladder is not completely empty after you go
- Weak stream
- Having to strain or push when you urinate
Dr. David Allen is a BPH specialist in Athens and is highly trained in diagnosing and providing treatment to help manage symptoms of BPH. Dr. Allen will evaluate your symptoms and experiences and provide a treatment plan that works best for you.
Learn more about the treatment options for BPH & call The Urology Clinic today to schedule your appointment with Dr. Allen.
What is BPH?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or BPH, is a condition in which the prostate enlarges as men get older. BPH is a very common condition that affects over 40 million Americans and over 500 million aging men worldwide. Over 40% of men in their 50s and over 70% of men in their 60s have BPH1. While BPH is a benign condition and unrelated to prostate cancer, it can greatly affect a man’s quality of life.
As the prostate enlarges, it presses on and blocks the urethra, causing bothersome urinary symptoms such as:
- Frequent need to urinate both day and night
- Weak or slow urinary stream
- A sense that you cannot completely empty your bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- Urgent feeling of needing to urinate
- A urinary stream that stops and starts
If you suffer from the above symptoms, you are not alone. BPH is the leading reason men visit a urologist.2
You can measure the severity of your BPH symptoms by taking the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) questionnaire.
- Berry, et al., Journal of Urology 1984
- IMS Health NDTI Urology Specialty Profile Report 2013
© 2018 NeoTract, Inc. All Rights Reserved. MAC00892-01 Rev A